Having celebrated its 110th anniversary in 2005, the law firm of Bacon Wilson, P.C. is proud of its historic beginnings, a consistent involvement in the greater Springfield community and a respected position in the contemporary legal field. Individual client needs remain paramount in a demanding era of complex technology, with partners believing that the practice of law is an honored profession. High quality services and effective management have resulted in solid growth, with strong relationships formed between members of the firm and their clients. This reflects early aspirations held by the founders of the firm.
George A. Bacon opened his law practice on June 17,1895. He laid the groundwork for a highly specialized law practice with a focus on corporate and business law. As his practice flourished, he ventured into the political arena and continued to be very active in local and state government throughout the duration of his life. He was the founder of the Commercial Law League of America and Director of the Massachusetts Bureau of Statistics, in addition to receiving many other distinctions. For the next sixty years, Bacon's firm consisted of three partners, then it started to grow in 1966 with the addition of Paul Salvage as an associate. Michael Katz followed in 1974 and Gary Fialky joined in 1975.
The Wilson side of Bacon Wilson started with Peter Wilson in 1945. He inherited his firm from two previous owners and built a thriving Real Estate and Probate practice. George Keady joined Wilson's firm in the early 1950's and Michael Ratner joined in 1966. Mr. Wilson eventually retired and Mr. Keady became a Superior Court judge, leaving Michael Ratner as the only remaining partner with several associates in his office.
In 1979 the two firms of George Bacon and Peter Wilson merged. With twelve lawyers, they became one of the largest and most distinguished firms in Springfield. The synergy of the two firms resulted in powerful growth. Now well rounded to include corporate, business, real estate and probate law, the firm became an even more prominent and respected legal entity in Western Massachusetts.
In the early 1980s Bacon Wilson bought Ellis Title Company. Ellis Title was the premiere abstract and conveyancing company in Western Massachusetts, with the largest back title base in the region. This acquisition put Bacon Wilson at a great advantage with respect to the real estate front on behalf of clients.
Over the summer of 2003, a significant expansion occurred. Rapid growth necessitated the acquisition of additional space from an adjacent building, and renovations converted the second floor of 29 State Street into additional office and conference space for firm personnel. An air walk between the two buildings was constructed, with special emphasis on integrating the architectural style of both buildings in an aesthetically pleasing way. The expansion added over 6,000 square feet of space, which is occupied by the firm's Estate Planning/Probate and Litigation departments.
In January of 2005, the firm merged with Morse and Sacks in Northampton. Established in 1901, Morse & Sacks' excellent reputation and strong focus on client care mirrored Bacon Wilson's ideology. This merge facilitated a strong Northampton presence and added two excellent attorneys to Bacon Wilson's staff. Shareholder, Francis R. Mirkin, was chosen to manage the Northampton operation.
In October of 2006, the firm merged with Monsein and MacConnell in Amherst. Stephen B. Monsein and Peter W. MacConnell are wonderful complements to the Bacon Wilson team, offering compatible legal talents. The Amherst office facilitates the convenience of our clients east of Northampton.
Today, the firm currently employs approximately one hundred people, under the direction of Stephen N. Krevalin as managing partner. As one of Springfield's oldest law firms, its offices are located in a stately, historic building constructed in 1910. The firm enthusiastically supports efforts to revitalize downtown Springfield, and in 1991 a group of the partners purchased the elegant French Renaissance style building, directly facing the courthouse, as a concrete demonstration of their commitment. An exemplary renovation of the historic building took place, recognized by the Springfield Preservation Trust, and the offices of Bacon & Wilson remain one of downtown's most admired sites.
Now into its second century of existence, Bacon Wilson continues its involvement in civic affairs and contributes to the local community in many ways. As a result of the opening of branch offices in Westfield, Northampton and Amherst, Bacon Wilson now has an expanded presence and clientele throughout Western Massachusetts. The legacy begun by its founder, George A. Bacon, has resulted in professional excellence combined with a strong commitment to the community. The current team of attorneys and staff blends a wealth of knowledge and experience encompassing all aspects of the law. The entire firm shares pride in the role Bacon Wilson has played within the legal profession and the Springfield community for more than one hundred years, and the Bacon Wilson family is looking forward to serving the legal needs of Western Massachusetts and Northern Connecticut for the next one hundred years.